Monday 22 June 2015

                     

Well I have to start somewhere and this seems like a good of place as any. I just completed my first assignment for my LRNT502 class - Introduction to Research. If I am being completely honest...research scares me. At least at the depth I know I am going to have to get into. I have never participated in an in depth research based project before...and although I know it is going to be all engrossing, I am ready for the challenge. My goal is to, some day, make an impact in the realm of education that extends beyond my immediate environment...and I know that research is a critical part of such a process.  

With that said...the vast amounts of information now available is daunting. Even just barely scratching the surface of this class is bring to the surface all sorts of questions: 

  • How to research? 
  • Where to research? 
  • Why to research? 
  • Who am I as a researcher? 
  • How does where I live and what I believe in affect my research?
Mindful inquiry appears, on the surface, to be common sense. Why wouldn't you take into account your own views, context, personality etc...? Harder said than done. There are so many variables to take into account when taking on a research project and I think that often one would look outside of themselves to the issue and neglect how they own biases, filters, culture, values would be affecting what they are seeing and how they are seeing something. 

Mindful inquiry puts the researcher right in the middle of the research at the very start - it asks them to find out why they are doing the research in the first place? (Bent and Shapiro, 1998) The answer to this question can affect one's research in a variety of ways and it allows the researcher become more conscious of their choices and decisions.

The text for this course, Mindful Inquiry in Social Research,  introduces many different cultures of inquiry and research traditions and methods. I am already overwhelmed by the choices. I know that each method has its strengths and weaknesses and is already rooted in various fields of study - sifting through them and understanding them is going to be a process for sure.

After completing a mind map on four different cultures of inquiry (see it here: Mind Map), I am already intrigued by hermeneutic inquiry for personal interest and evaluative and action research on a more professional level.

References:

Bent,V.M., & Shapiro, J. J. (1998). Mindful Inquiry in Social Research. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage.

Image retrieved from: http://www.joiningthedots.org.uk/5.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin,

    I agree with you as I feel completely frightened at the aspect of a large research project. At the surface it appears to be not so bad, but when you look behind the scenes the magnitude of work can certainly be overwhelming. I too am sifting through the different cultures of inquiry and finding one that best suits my individual character, a task that I am sure as we move through the material will become easier.

    Petrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,

    I appreciate your honesty and your fear of research. There are many questions to consider before conducting research and then the thought of selecting an approach mindfully seems challenging. Placing the researcher in the center of the inquiry feels right to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Lanka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin,

    I came into this course with the same fear. Research is a daunting task. There are many things to consider, many more than I thought when I started this course. However, while the unknown can be fearful, it is also exciting. I find myself drawn to Participatory Action Research and Critical Social Theory. Although I have no idea what my research will be at this point, I believe it will involve one of those two cultures of inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristin,

    I came into this course with the same fear. Research is a daunting task. There are many things to consider, many more than I thought when I started this course. However, while the unknown can be fearful, it is also exciting. I find myself drawn to Participatory Action Research and Critical Social Theory. Although I have no idea what my research will be at this point, I believe it will involve one of those two cultures of inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin,
    I'm enjoying your posts, especially this last one on digital sociology. About the "dautingness" of doing a research study. I think once you begin focusing in on an area/topic you're interested in exploring and then begin to fine tune the actual research question -certain cultures of inquiry and methods will lend themselves to the task better than others. Landing on a theoretical framework that will underpin your study really does have to come after you have your specific research in mind. (unless your study is actually focused around the theory itself, I suppose). So having a "working understanding" of cultures of inquiry, methods (survey, interview, observation), theoretical frameworks, is sufficient to begin thinking about what you're interested in exploring.

    ReplyDelete